Here’s some tips and tricks I wish I was told when I became a mom:
1. New babies sleep A LOT! Try to take advantage of that.
2. Try to always be gentle but remember, your baby squeezed through a very tight canal, they are quite durable
3. You’ll be changing tons of diapers. Make sure to have a designated area that’s easy to access so they are use to it when they get squirmy in a few months.
4. Being a breastfeeding mom, my appetite was huge. I never had anytime to cook so a lot of junk food was consumed. Try to stock up on healthy, easy to make snacks.
5. Keep night time dark and daytime light, it’ll help them transition quicker.
6. Sometimes babies just cry. Go through your checklist of needs; hungry, tired, comfy, clean, etc. If those are all met take a deep breath. Hand baby off if the crying becomes too much.
7. You’ll learn their sleep and awake noises soon, so you won’t be jumping at every quickened breath, newborns are very noisy
8. Think of those 3am feedings as special bonus bonding time.
9. Sometimes their tummies are really big.
10. Last but not least, when they wake up in the middle of the night it isn’t just a quick feed then back to bed. You’ll probably end up holding them for an hour or two until they are ready to sleep again. Keep it dark and bring your phone, water, iPad, book, etc. Just quietly hold baby while keeping yourself entertained. I ALMOST started looking forward to my bonus time with babe.